Plymouth Roadrunner Transmission Mount

Been a while since I my last post,  this is becoming a habit. Damn this MBA is keeping me busy. Here is a quick look at how we replaced the Plymouth Roadrunner Transmission Mount. You will also get to see the state in which the mount was left and as usual nothing was straight forward!

Old A833 Mount

Old Plymouth Roadrunner Transmission Mount: Hard to see but the bolt is not sitting into a metal sleeve like it should.

Trasmission Jack

This was my home made Transmission Support for the job. Not ideal but it was enough to support the gearbox while I replaced the mount.

Here is the old mount, the bush had deformed as the bold slowly ate its way thought the rubber. The mount should have been fitted with a metal sleeve for the bolt to go though. You can see from above  and the image of the new mount that the sleeve should protrude from either side of the mound so that there can be no lateral movement.

Old Mount

Old Transmission Mount, the Transmission is an A833 4 speed in case anyone is wondering.

New A833 Trasmission Mount

Here is a side image of the new mount, you can see that there is a metal sleeve running through the bush.

When we had the old and new mounts out we noticed a problem. Anyone who tinkers with classic cars knows that nothing is ever straight forward, even the simplest of jobs. Basically the transmission mount bolt was too this, this would have left too much play.

New Mount with Old Bolt

Here you will see the old bolt sitting in the new mount, the bold was too thin and perhaps this is why the old bush has no sleeve.

We got lucky though, I just happened to have a bolt handy that fit the mount perfectly. This was actually a bolt we removed from the home made leaf spring shackles that we replaced a few days before.

New Mount New Bolt

Wow!! the bolt we had lying around was a perfect fit. This was a huge relief, nobody needs the hassle of sourcing bits like this.

New mount fitted

The finished product!

Once we found the bolt it was only a couple of minutes to fit everything back together and get the car back on the road. We hope you enjoyed reading about another little job done on the roadrunner, if you have any questions or want us to write about something in particular, just send us a message.